On 29/01/2017 hrs: 09:00
Traditional rendezvous with the popular cross country ski race from Mazzin to Canazei
The Marcialonga di Fiemme e Fassa is an international cross country ski race that takes place the last Sunday of January. The 70 km track has to be covered just in classical technique, and that’s what makes Marcialonga one of the toughest races in the world. The most part of competitors (7,500 participants) come from the Scandinavian countries, in particular Norway, for a weekend long festival of Nordic skiing.
The Marcialonga route: since the first edition, the Marcialonga starting line has been situated in the Moena’s plain. The cross country ski race goes uphill through all Val di Fassa, along the Avisio river. The athletes have to chance to watch the Sella Group up to Canazei where they need to reverse the way across the river and going back to south. The descent to Cavalese is very sweet: you meet Campitello first, Pozza di Fassa, Moena and later, Predazzo. After having crossed all the Val di Fiemme, the athletes will face on a last, long, hard climb to Cavalese, before the race finish line.
Athletes are called to choose between two itineraries: the classical one, 70 km of lenght (from Moena to Cavalese, passing through Canazei), and the shortest "Marcialonga Light" with 45 km to cover (from Moena to Predazzo, passing through Canazei). Since 2000, the Marcialonga is part of both the prestigious Worldloppet circuit and the FIS Marathon Cup.
Programme on Saturday, January 28th 2017:
- at 9.30 a.m. - Lago di Tesero: Marcialonga Story, vintage ski race with old style equipment on 11 km course CT. Arrival in Predazzo;
- at 1.00 p.m. - Lago di Tesero: Marcialonga Stars, race reserved to VIPs with snow-rackets in collaboration with the Association for cancer research;
- at 2.00 p.m. - Lago di Tesero: Minimarcialonga, cross country ski race in classic technique for children (between 6 and 12 years old) on a 3 km course;
- at 2.30 p.m. - Lago di Tesero: Marcialonga Young for juniors between 12 and 14 years, on 4 km course CT.
Programme on Sunday, January 29th 2017:
- at 8.00 a.m. - Moena: start of the Marcialonga - FIS Worldloppet Cup;
- at 11.00 a.m. - Cavalese: arrival of the first competitors and prize giving ceremony.